Monday, July 15, 2013

A New Surfboard

On this "yoga" blog that seems to be less each day about yoga and more about yummy food, chickens and honey bees, lets talk about one of my rarely mentioned passions, surfing!  I never write about surfing, there is something that happens in my mind when I am surfing that takes me out of language and memory and transforms me into pure instinct and existence.  I also find surfing to bring out all sorts of editorial in me due to the bizarre mix of deep connection to nature and deep disconnect with fellow man.  There is a lot of negative energy in the water from the other surfers.  A lot of egotistical, macho bullsh#t!  I guess instead of writing commentary on how annoyed I am about something I witnessed in the water I simply skip the subject. 

Sharing a Wave with my Best Friend

But surfing is also a deep source of love for me.  I met my husband many years ago while sitting on a bench, looking at the surf.  We surfed together that afternoon and many, many times since.  He has probably made me 15 surfboards or so and together we have surfed in many exotic and sometimes unusual places like Ireland, Italy and Peru.  In two weeks we leave for our third European surfing safari.  First we will have a city tour of London where Tim will be having a solo show at D*Face's gallery, Stolen Space.  The show will be an exposition of Tim's Andy Warhol Surfboards.  




He built the most amazing crate last week to ship the ten Warhol surfboards plus our own personal surfboards for the safari.  We have a system when we travel in response to the high expense of traveling with surfboards, at the end of the trip we sell out boards on location.  Sometimes this even generates a new foreign repeat customer!  This trip I have a problem, all my boards have such aesthetic and sentimental characteristics and value for me that I'm not willing to part with any of them!  Tim's solution, a new board for me to take to Europe and sell to the Portuguese market!  It's exciting to have a conversation with a shaper to determine the size and characteristics of your new board.   And even more exciting to watch the board come to life under his artisanal care.  And its even more exciting to surf great waves with all of that experience in tow!

It starts with a block of foam and some numbers
Creating the design
The asymmetrical tail design
Square noses are all the rage this season


Perfecting the design
 The finished product and the bag she'll be shipped in.
I'm ready!


No comments: