Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Introducing the Ladies!




One of the BEST ideas I have ever had was to get me some chickens!  I've had these four ladies for about two and a half months, and I love them!  They are so cute and fun to watch.  I enjoy feeding them and even cleaning out their coop, go figure!  I keep running home between appointments to give the girls an hour of free roaming time in the garden.  I find the chickens to be less work than a dog, really just about 5-10 minutes of attention a day and a little longer for a good cleaning once each season.  So, if you've got a little space and a little time and a little sense of adventure, I recommend you give it a try and raise some backyard chickens.  Here is the best website to get started www.backyardchickens.com.  Let's meet my ladies, all purchased on Craigslist from individuals raising chickens at their homes in San Diego.

This is Lady Moonbeam, she's a Silkie Chicken.

This is Ruby Rose, she's an Ameraucana Chicken.

Here's Ruby again with Julia Child up above her.  Julia Child is a French Black Copper Maran.



And introducing the spunky Ameraucana Chicken, Maria Flor!



Learn more:
About Silkies on Wikipedia
About Ameraucanas on Wikipedia
About Marans on Wikipedia

These four chickens live in a coop made of a cabinet and some pallets.



2 comments:

Flavia said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! By the way all, San Diego actually has much more lenient chicken laws than people realize... :) -Flavia

Unknown said...

Very cool!