Friday, June 28, 2013

Nicoise Salad

It's been some time since I've posted any recipes.  I'm still cooking, but with the late nights in the summer, we often go surfing after work and then its such a struggle against the clock and the pillow to get some dinner on the table, forget about documenting it!  I am also generally unimpressed with my food photographs, especially taken in the evening.  But enough of the complaining, let me tell you about my favorite salad this summer, Niçoise Salad.  It is a fun way to eat our homegrown eggs!  Traditionally the salad includes hard boiled egg, green beans, olives, anchovies, and tomatoes with a vinaigrette, but there is no reason to feel defined or limited by this list.  Last week the Nicoise inspiration was caused by some fresh green beans my mom brought from her garden, last nights inspiration was definitely the desire to eat some eggs for dinner.  I usually use canned tuna instead of anchovies.  Trader Joe's has a canned tuna packed in olive oil that I love, I drizzle the oil on the salad for flavor.  As for a dressing, I simply squeeze some fresh lemon (another gift from mom's garden) and some olive oil, no fancy vinaigrettes, my husband prefers the simplicity of lemon.  It is such a simple salad, no real need for a recipe, but instead it is a great way to learn some foundational cooking tips which I have listed below.  What will you put in you Nicoise Salad?.

Cooked but chilled vegetable such as green beans, carrots, kale, or cauliflower
A major protein such as tuna, hard boiled egg, other fish, or nuts
Raw vegetables such as lettuce and tomatoes
Some pickled items such as olives or capers
a light dressing of vinegar, lemon and olive oil

Hard Boiled Eggs:
I cover the eggs in cold water in a small pot and place over a medium-high flame.  When the pot comes to a rolling boil I remove it from the heat and set a timer for 12 minutes.  When the timer is finished I transfer the eggs to an ice bath.  Once they have chilled I crush the shell on all sides and then peel it away.

Julia Child's French way to cook vegetables:  I learned a lot watching this video, the part I want you to see is at the beginning.  Basically you heat a lot of water and cook your vegetables for just a short while at a very hot temperature.

No comments: