Monday, October 14, 2013

Vanilla Extract

Here's how it looked after only a few minutes.
Everything you need: vanilla bean, alcohol, & jar.
Some simple to do.  All you need is some vodka and some vanilla beans.  You can ouse other forms of alcohol, but vodka will give you a very clear flavor.  My mind is beginning to jump to the other flavor possibilities and I am imagining a tequila based flavoring extract I might be making later in the day!  Anyway, for this vanilla extract the quality and flavor of your vanilla beans is the key ingredient.  I use a whole vanilla bean, organically grown in India.  It has a glossy fresh look and when I slice them open the seeds form a dense moist paste inside.  I used ten vanilla beans, sliced open, and 16 ounces of vodka.  I let it sit for a week and then pulled the beans out.

No comments: