Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How to Roast Chiles

Back to the subject of cooking on this eclectic blog of mine.  I started my recipe posts with Chile Rellenos but I left out the actual instructions for roasting your chiles.  If you like mexican food, salsa, flavor, you must learn to roast your own chiles.  Growing up my mom would roast her chiles in the oven.  But my mom has been living for forty years in a house with an electric range, so the oven was the only option.  I am lucky to have a beautiful antique gas range and after a discussion with a mexican yoga friend, I began roasting my chiles right on top of the flame of my stove top and  prefer the results. Chiles are no joke, so use a hood or vent if you have one and be sure to wear gloves when peeling and seeding your chiles.  If you do not use gloves, was your hands several times in cool water when you are done, and try not to touch your face for the rest of the day.  The oil from the chiles will remain on your hands for awhile and can really burn your eyes if you touch them.  You can roast any type of chile.  I usually pick pasilla or ancho for chile rellenos and jalapenos for salsa.

I balance the chiles right over the flame.

I use tongs a turn the chiles occasionally.

When the chiles are finished they should be charred all over.

Next is a weird step called "sweating" which involves placing the hot chiles in a plastic bag for about ten minutes.

When the chiles are cool enough to handle, wearing gloves scrape off the skin then slit the side and remove the seeds.

Here are some finished chiles waiting to be stuffed!

No comments: