Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Self Healing in 3 Minutes

I studied massage and other health related topics at the International Professional School of Bodywork in San Diego.  My education there was fun, hands on and full of essential information on health and the body. One of the first things I was taught at IPSB was a series of exercises called EK, short for exercise kinesiology, also known as Brain Gym.  Later I became a teacher at IPSB, and the first piece of knowledge I was allowed to teach was the wake-up exercises of EK.  This Summer I began studying a new health modality called Touch for Health and to my surprise, we began class with EK!  I was starting to get the message, these simple exercises are powerful and should enter my repertoire of movement education.  So I have begun to add these simple opening exercises to my yoga classes and have written this post to help my students remember them.  This is only the first opening exercises of the EK routine and not the complete routine.

We begin with having a sip of water if you have some available.

Next we Zip-Up by drawing a line with our hand up the center of our body from pubic bone to lower lip, you don-t need to touch your body, but just move your hand an inch or two from your body in a strait line up the center and at the top touch the impression below your lower lip with your fingers like you are pressing a button to turn something on.

Now we Switch On by rubbing or circling for about 30 seconds 3 sets of points.  The first points we call brain buttons and these are two depressions you find just below your clavicles, the end points of our kidney meridians.  Next we have our earth buttons, the depressions above and below our lips.  Lastly we have our space button, our tail bone.  For all three points, with one hand you rub the point, and with the other hand you ground yourself by resting the hand on your lower abdomen.

Once we are turned on, we are ready to Tune In.  This consists of a 1-2 minute ear massage.  Get your fingers rubbing and pulling and stretching all the surfaces of your ears.

Here is a link to the Touch for Health website which also explains these exercises and has photos showing more clearly how to do the exercises.

No comments: