Thursday, September 19, 2013

Creamy Drinks for Dreamy Chicks!

In a constant consumption evolution I have found myself upon this path:

mother's milk->cow's milk(by the gallon from costco)->organic milk->soy milk (in a tetra carton)->rice milk (in a tetra carton)->canned coconut milk->abstinence->home made nut and rice milk

...basically I'm trying to say that there are times you just want to reach for something cool and creamy, maybe to start your day, maybe to calm you in the evening.  But the traditional choices just don't work for me anymore.  After giving up milk years ago I have been purchasing Trader Joe's Organic Rice Milk and Organic Chocolate Soy to use in smoothies and most often to be drunk in the evening as a midnight snack of choice.  But these cartons have become unacceptable to me now, just another processed food creating lots of trash in my trash can.  I've pretty much gone without for awhile, reaching for organic canned coconut milk when a splash of milk is needed in oatmeal or in a baking recipe.  But that occasional evening craving or smoothy base was still missing in my life!  At a charity event I attended this weekend I was able to try several flavors of a new juice brand, Suja, they were sponsors of the event.  The almond coconut milk was delicious, I especially liked the spices.  If they can make a great bottled alternative milk, so can I!  I've made two varieties so far this week, a coconut and nut milk similar to Suja's and a traditional horchata, or rice milk.

Nutty Coconut Milk
1/4 cup of raw almonds
1/4 cup of raw cashews
1/2 cup coconut milk
8 ounces coconut yogurt
1 mango
teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1-2 cups water

Soak the nuts over night then strain.  Remove the skins from the almonds by pinching or rubbing them between your fingers.  In a blender combine all the ingredients starting with just one cup of the water.  Blend on high until well combined and then taste.  Adjust the ingredients to your own liking, adding water, sweetener, other fruit, ice...Store in the fridge in a glass container, mixing up well before drinking!

Horchata
1 cup of rice, I used basmati
4 cups of water
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Soak the rice for a few hours, strain, and then soak again in 4 cups of water over night.  Pulverize in a blender on high for 5 minutes then strain, discarding the rice pulp.  Return the milk to the blender and blend again with the remaining ingredients.  Store in the fridge in a glass container and miw up again before serving.

Horchata Berry Smoothy
1 cup of Horchata
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
handfull of beet greens
1 tablespoon organic hemp protein powder
1 teaspoon bee pollen

Blend all the ingredients together on high and enjoy!

Horchata and Horchata Berry Smoothy

No comments: