Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lemon Zucchini Cake

2 mini cakes fresh from the oven
A friend of ours has recently begun a new venture as a farmer!  He has cultivated some land here in San Diego county and has begun to offer weekly delivers of organic produce.  It's a great price, only $15 a week.  Today was our third delivery and I continue to see fresh and vibrant produce, lettuce, kale, green onions, radishes, and summer squash have been consistent and some other items I have received once or twice include carrots, beets, figs and a small bouquet of flowers!  So these ingredients have pushed my culinary creativity lately, finding ways to use all the summer squash and my husband's sweet tooth had me searching the internet for zucchini cakes and breads.  Here's a link to a recipe I followed, or you can take my variations for a yummy coconut flavor!

Preheat oven to 350' and grease and flour your baking dish.  One day I made one large loaf and baked for 40 minutes.  The next week I made two small loafs and baked for ...minutes

Whisk together:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar (or 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup powder sugar if you ran out of sugar!)
1 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind

Mix together:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Add flour mixture to egg mixture and then add 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini to this mixture.

Spoon this batter into your prepared baking dish and make 25-45 minutes.

Cool and enjoy!
The Cakes and the beautiful Squash they came from!

No comments: