Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Forks Over Knives


For years I've been feeling pressure to be a vegetarian.  I have practiced for often months at a time a vegan lifestyle, but my husband was not with me on these lifestyle choices.  I would find myself preparing two dinners, one for him  and one for me.  But six months ago he watched the movie, Forks Over Knives, and it completely changed his perspective on food.  Now foods he wouldn't touch he's reaching for at the dinner table, and dinner without any meat is satisfying him in a way it couldn't before.  This movie follows the work of two doctors, one working with patients and one doing data studies on extensive cancer research done in China.  Both of these doctors came to the same conclusions but separately that a diet consisting of 20% animal protein is cancer promoting, but a diet consisting of only 5% animal protein is cancer inhibiting.  For my husband, this scientifically derived data that still allowed him to eat meat was just the right information to make drastic changes to his diet.  Luckily for him, he had an eager vegan chef in his kitchen!  Six months later and twenty pounds lighter, my husband has more energy, almost none of his chronic headaches and feels socially and culturally more involved with the food he eats.  So I encourage you to give the movie a look, and what we now call the 5% diet, a diet made 95% of plant based foods and 5% of organic and sustainably raised animal products, a try!

No comments: