Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mother's Day Brunch: Mexican Rolls Three Ways

Mexican Rolls Three Ways
For my Mother's Day brunch I wanted fresh bread and I found a great recipe for Bolillos at Holy Cow! Vegan Blog.  I' ve since used the recipe a few more times and will explain a few variations I've tried. 

Ingredients
2 cups Warm Water
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 package active dry Yeast
2 1/4 cups White Flour
2 1/4 cups Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Butter or Veggie Oil Spread
1-2 teaspoon Salt

I use a small quick read thermometer to check my water is about 110* then add yeast and sugar. Whisk it till dissolved and let sit 5-10 minutes. Set1 1/2 cups of flour aside.  Mix remaining three cups of flour with salt and butter cut into tiny pieces.  Rub together in a big bowl, breaking up butter then pour the yeast water on top. Mix together and then begin to knead with hands gradually adding more flour until a soft dough forms. Continue to knead the dough for ten minutes,adding more floras needed so the dough does not get sticky. To knead you push the dough away from you're fold the far side in and give the dough a quarter turn, always moving in the same direction.  Lightly oil another big bowl, drop the dough in and turn it so it gets oiled on all sides. Cover bowl with a towel an let sit in a warm place for about an hour, it should double in size.  Flip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for a minute.  Divide into two sections then divide each section into 6 so you have 12 sections. Work each piece of dough for a minute, tapering the edges and flouring as needed so it doesn't get sticky. Place on oiled pans, or I use parchment paper as my oven tends to burn the bottoms of my baked goods.  Cover these dough boys witha dry towel and let sit another 30-45 minutes.  During this time preheat your oven to 350*. When rolls have risen again, cut a slit on the top of each and brush with a little oil if you'd like and bake 20-30 minutes depending on he heat of your oven. When they are done you can tap the bottom with a butter knife and they should sound hollow.

The next time I used this recipe I made two baguette shaped rolls instead. One was cut into thin pieces and toasted in the oven with a cauliflower delight on top.

The third time I made this recipe I made half the batch plain and half the batch I added about 1/4 diced onion, a few sprigs of diced fresh parsley and a tablespoon of dried oregano.  I kneaded these seasonings into the dough after its first rise when shaping into the rolls.  It was delicious and made some fantastic avocado and sprout sandwiches.



No comments: