Friday, January 18, 2013

2013...you're kicking my ass...

2012, a big year for me.  I began my tea business.  I quit all work for others and went out 100% on my own after a decade of juggling multiple employers while also running my own business.  In general this year I was experiencing a transition from young adult to more seasoned adult in many big and small ways.  At the end of the year I began concentrated efforts of cleansing and preparation for the change of seasons and the move to a new calendar year.  Many of you followed my posts as I took a 30 Day Cleanse in November and December.  But, just before Christmas, my dog died and since then it's been one thing after another keeping me down.  I came down with whatever gunky respiratory madness has been spreading across the country this month and then this last weekend I butchered my thumb in the kitchen slicing bread for the chicken noodle soup I had lovingly prepared for my husband, sick in bed, having caught my illness as I was just beginning to see the light!  I feel as though a month of my life has disappeared before my eyes and all I can say is, 2013...you're kicking my ass!

So, what's the plan?  What to do when life gets you down?  First option, lay low.  And that's what I have been allowing myself to do.  Work the least possible, watch a lot of bad TV (Upstairs Downstairs is my poison of choice), lay in bed, drink tea, eat soup, and wait for the change of weather.  Now that I am finally feeling able to live again I find myself wanting to center and direct myself in to this new year.  I've worked a bit with themes in the past, choosing a theme for my year as opposed to a resolution.  Instead of trying to do or not do some particular action, the idea is to chose a theme or concept to reflect upon throughout year.  I did this a few years back with Grace.  I would try to remember to reflect upon the concept of Grace, what does it mean, how do we see grace or act in a way that is graceful.  By coming back to the idea again and again at different intervals during the year, I gradually formed my own deeper understanding of the concept of Grace and what it means to me and how I can embody Grace in my daily life.  This last year I was inspired by a yoga teacher who said in class "No negativity" and I tried to bring that in to my life, but it was difficult and I definitely didn't carry the concept in my heart for very long like I had the concept of Grace.  But it was still a wonderful exercise, one that I should employ again, immediately!

As for 2013, I think the theme will be Simplicity.  How can I live in a way that is more simple?  I think it will involve concepts like spending and using less, dealing with problems head-on, having a good attitude, creating community.  I think of the sanskrit word, santosha, contentment, being happy with life just the way it is.  Let's see if I can remember in the little daily moments of my life this new them of Simplicity, and let's accumulate life's knowledge, and add some Grace and Positivity into the day-to-day.


No comments: