Monday, January 28, 2013

Yoga on a Budget

Lakshmi brings me opportunities, Jay Lakshmi!
I've been having a hard time lately funding my yoga addiction.  Since I quit my final gig at a yoga studio about a year ago, I lost my privileges for free classes around town.  At one point I think I had four studios in San Diego I could visit anytime for free.  I would reserve my yoga budget for retreats and workshops.  This last year, instead, I have been paying for studio classes, mostly at Bikram's, and it gets expensive to progress, and to progress I need to take at Lear 3 classes each week.  After the holiday crunch, I had decided to give my Bikram's addiction a break, but I was feeling disappointed about that.  On Facebook, a high school acquaintance shared a living social deal for Sol Yoga, a new fusion studio in a mall, next to the movie theaters.  Not the sort of place I'd think of for Samadhi.  But the deal was great, $39 for one month unlimited, so I took the bait.  The place is awesome.  It's like Bikram's lite.  The room is heated, but not so intensely, and the classes are mostly only 60 minutes whereas Bikram's is over 90 minutes long, a bit much to endure on days filled with teaching my own yoga classes, giving massage and sometimesmsurfing!  Best of all, they have a relatively huge locker room with clean showers, lockers and toiletries.  I've been about 3 times and the classes have been vinyasa flow classes, all pretty well attended by young women, many look like UCSD students.   Everything is very professional and upbeat.  The classes have been a little heavy on humor and inspiration, which can be challenging to make authentic, but I am definitely looking forward to the rest of my month!

No comments: