Friday, January 11, 2013

Kale with Turkey Bacon and Black Eyed Peas

It's the New Year and I decided to join in a cultural phenomenon that I don't understand...black eyed peas.  Once I cooked up a batch I was considering options for the rest of the meal and I figured why not just take the southern concept all the way!  To be a southern meal I thought you needed a little something fried and a little something pork.  Since watching Forks Over Knives, my husband has become a willing "mostly" vegetarian.  This southern meal is the perfect example of using meat as a condiment instead of the featured centerpiece to a meal.  I found a turkey bacon at Trader Joe's and used only two pieces for this meal, giving just a bit of flavor to a meal.

Two slices of turkey bacon sliced into strips
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of butter
1 large buch of kale sliced into pieces

I heated the butter in my favorite cast iron pan and added the garlic and simmered on low for a minute.  Then I added the sliced bacon and sautéed for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  Next I added the kale and continued to sauté for about five minutes, stirring to coat the kale in the garlic.


Now for the black eyed peas.  I cooked the peas as I do all other beans such as pinto beans and kidney beans.  First, the beans (one cup of dried beans is a nice portion) need a good soaking, at least 12 hours of soaking in filtered water.  This makes the beans more digestible and supposedly less gas inducing.  Then I strain the beans and combine them with fresh filtered water in a pot, maybe 3 or 4 cups, and bring to a strong rapid boil for 10-15 minutes skimming the foam off the top from time to time.  Then lower the heat and simmer covered unti; the beans become soft, about an hour, but it really depends upon the type of bean, some take longer some take less time.  Once the beans have cooked, add salt to taste.

No comments: