Saturday, January 19, 2013

Notes on Simplicity: Barter

When I contemplate simplifying my life I think right away of money.  When I don't seem to have enough, life feels complicated.  When I do have enough, life flows and feels upbeat.  Money isn't the right word, it's resources.  These resources include time, energy, and other commodities.  When what I offer the world and what I receive from the world in resources feels balanced, life has simplified, and all is well.  One way to achieve this balance is through barter, or trade, with others.  By eliminating money entirely the relationship becomes a more direct trade of your time and the value of the service you offer.  Sometimes I do feel a little embarrassed that I am a massage therapist and not a teacher or a doctor or a investment mogul.  But with the license comes skills that I carry with me, always, skills that are sought out by others.  At first I traded massages with other therapists, especially as a student, that's how we learned!  In time I met different people in the community who were willing to trade their services in exchange for massage treatments from me.  I have traded for dental work, hair cuts, Pilates training, harp lessons, Accupuncture, tax services, art classes...my first massage table was bought for me by a friend  in exchange for the value in massage!  Trades are fun when they work out right.  Sometimes my trade partners don't give the same respect to a trade appointment as they would to a paying appointment with tardiness or last minute cancellatio.  that's when its time to cut your losses and move on.  a good rule of thumb, if you aren't willing to pay for the service, don't waste your time offering up your services in exchange.  In this year of simplicity, I look forward to some new trade adventures, creating relationship and community, while getting my needs met!

No comments: