Friday, February 8, 2013

Blueberry Scones


I've been having a lot of fun lately getting up early in the morning and baking something wonderful for breakfast.  I went pretty decadent last time with Cinnamon Rolls, and wanted to be a bit more hearty this time around and settled on scones.  I looked up scone recipes on Smitten Kitchen, and of course, she had several.  One looked like a particularly good base for me, with whole wheat flour and oats, Oat-and-maple-syrup-scones.  I cut the recipe in half and made a few other changes, like making my own coconut cream instead of using milk.

the dry ingredients

3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter cut into little pieces
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut cream (fresh coconut meat blended with water)
2 tablespoons coconut yogurt
1 cup blueberries, I used frozen wild berries

It's very simple, heat your oven to 350 and prepare a cookie sheet with some parchment paper.  Mix together the dry ingredients in a big bowl, flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt then work the butter into it with your fingers until you get a crumbly consistency like bread crumbs.  In another bowl combine your wet ingredients, syrup, coconut cream and yogurt and then gently blend that into the dry ingredients with a spatula.  Finally, gently fold in the blueberries.  I made about 5 good sized mini-baseballs with the dough and pushed a walnut down onto the top of a couple of them.  I baked it for about 18 minutes.  Delicious!

scraping the meat out of a coconut

the batter when finished mixing

scones ready for the oven


the finished product, success!
Candlelight Breakfast, why not?!?

No comments: