Saturday, February 23, 2013

Goldilocks Yoga

I've taken about a dozen yoga classes this last month at Sol Yoga Studio, most of the classes with the same teacher, Alyssa Runyan.  I came up with this concept to describe my experience, Goldilocks Yoga.  This class isn't too short or too long, it's just right (60 minutes).  This room isn't too hot or too cold, it's just right (about 90').  This class isn't too hard or too easy, it's just right.  This last year I've been struggling with a love hate relationship with Bikram's Yoga.  I love the difficulty, the heat, the seriousness, but I hate it too!  It's difficult to fit the 90 minute + regime into my already active days.  And the heat an really wipe you out if you aren't properly prepared.  The postures are difficult and I continually strain my hamstrings, neck and calf muscles.  And I miss sun salutations when I take a Bikram's class.  I'll keep attending my local Bikram's studio, it's a convenient couple blocks from my house, but I'm getting used to a lighter version, after all, does yoga need to be difficult?

PS.  I tried a new class today at Sol called Surge.  It was not my thing, and honestly what I was expecting when I first attended classes.  Blaring dance music and overly difficult movements at a fast pace.

Moral of the story: shop around, try different teachers and locations, experiment, discover what you love, what challenges you, and even what you despise!

No comments: