Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A New Facet to my Dharma


It's an interesting thing happening for me at this transitional age of 35.  I'm experiencing the clarification of my Dharma.  I know I am a healer, an educator of health and yoga.  I feel deep reverence for this profession and for the work I do with others.  But I have always had the feeling that there was something else in addition to this that the universe wanted me to be doing.  And it wasn't so much something different than what I was already doing, but just a maturation of my skills enabling me to begin to teach others, and the success to give me the freedom to use some of my time towards other goals.  And what are these skills and goals you ask?  They are homesteading skills.

At first I thought these new efforts in my life were for my own good, but after seeing the effect my chickens have on the neighborhood, I am realizing that I am learning and practicing these skills so that I can share the experience with others and empower them (YOU) to make healthy living changes in their own environments.  It began with some healthy recipes made form whole foods, and is expanding into composting, gardening, raising chickens, raising bees and just in general becoming deeply connected to the cycle of life.  I have called this the year of simplicity for my self, but simplicity ain't simple.  For the most part to me it means cutting off a corporate supply change and creating my own supply change.  It often means investment in equipment, an initial period of patience when things are getting started, and a whole lot of extra work for me.  The simplicity is not in the doing, but in the purity and simplicity of the final product.  When I am not able to create things on my own, then I try to rely on the farmers' market, and other sources of integrity.

My guru in this adventure is my laptop (or iPad).  I am not the first person in America to try to go back to their roots lately, so luckily I can find all sorts of information from others on what to do, how to do it, and at what time of the year.  I just found a great home steading blog, and like me, it all started with a compost pile.  Just after the new year, while walking our dogs home from the beach, we found an interesting composting barrel in a back alley waiting to be thrown out.  We each grabbed a side (my husband and I, not the puppies) and walked a few awkward blocks home with the thing.  Honestly it has been difficult.  At first there were a lot of flies.  But after consulting with my garden guru mom and receiving a gift from her of a big bag of worms, its starting to progress a bit better.  I've been told that you can't have much success with one composting bin, and instead you need two so that they can be at different states of composition, so here's what I hope to get built for me soon, or maybe its easy enough to do on my own, a pallet compost bin.

If you think that is awesome and you'd like to support my efforts, you can!  I have just started my first Kickstarter Campaign, and am asking you and the rest of my virtual community to support the expansion of my homestead with some bee hives.  If you would like to make a contribution, it would be greatly appreciated.  There are great rewards for donating!  Even if you aren't able to contribute, stay tuned here at YoginiRobin and follow the progree of my hive!  Click here to donate to this Bee Project!

No comments: