Friday, March 1, 2013

Three Wise Woman, a video by John Francis Peters


A few years ago, a yoga student of mine, John Francis Peters, asked to do an artistic collaboration.  He had already experimented with making a video of one of his paintings, and asked me to work with him to create the musical backdrop for his newest painting video.  At that time I was chanting at the end of my yoga classes a variety of different mantras I was studying in both the hatha yoga and kundalini yoga traditions.  One version of the the Sat Siri Akaal chant by Nirinjan Kaur was a favorite of mine and I used that chant as a foundation for the chant I created with John.  It was a new experience for me, recording my voice, and I really enjoy the possibility of harmonizing with my own voice.  John used his laptop, a microphone and a headset in a quiet corner of my parents house to help me create these layers of my voice and harmonium.  It turned out quite ethereal and haunting...

No comments: