Sunday, March 17, 2013

Winter Power Breakfast

Here in Southern California the weather can be confusing.  Today, for example, was a beautiful sunny day. Probably in the low 70's.  It was the perfect Sunday for the local farmers' market and the afternoon in the garden planting a new lemon tree.  Although it felt like a mild summer day, the reality is that spring has not yet sprung, and we are in the last days of winter!  Winter is a time to be sure and not skip breakfast, and when I need a hearty breakfast, I often reach for a carton of eggs.  But lately I've been trying to wake up with a healthier start with oatmeal and all the fixings!  No instant oatmeal for me either.  Instead I simmer my oatmeal for 10-15 minutes then add the yummy treats that make this breakfast so awesome!  Lately it's been red walnuts from the farmers' market, Greek yogurt, bee pollen, dried blueberries and dried cherries.  This breakfast keeps me hopping all morning, especially when preceded by my usual morning veggie-fruit juice.



No comments: