Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sleepless Nights

About six weeks ago I spent a sleepless night.  No problems, no worries, just pure excitement.  I had decided that I could, and would, raise chickens in my own front yard.  The idea got my brain spinning and I spent at least one sleepless night filled with imaginings and late night web searches.  Now my chickens are established in their beautifully built home, and for a few weeks everything has been calm, yet busy.  Last night a new possibility creeped its way into my brain and went from idea to distinct possibility.  After several hours of tossing and turning, I found myself sitting on the couch at 3am, creating my first Kickstarter campaign.  Kickstarter is a way to find funding from the community for creative endeavors.  I have helped others in the past record albums of yoga chanting music through kickstarter.  At three in the morning I decided it was the answer to my deep longing to become a bee tender!  This is the year of sustainability for me, creating nourishing food in my kitchen and on my property.  We are honey addicts in my house, and honey isn't cheap.  I have seen the price of a pound of honey go up by $2 in the last year.  There are all sorts of stories in the news about Bee Colony death and the devastating effects on the ecosystem and crops without the adequate supply of honey bees in our community.  The same city council referendum (city bee regulations) passed in early 2012 allowing for chickens in residential areas also allows for the keeping of beehives at residences for personal consumption.  The supplies you need are not too expensive, at the maintenance sounds fairly minimal.  I have even found a 5 day training course at Esalen, or it would be better to say the course found me and has been my inspiration for this all!  Stay tuned as my kickstarter campaign gets approved and I look to you for support in fulfilling my ever expanding dream of a little homestead near the beach in San Diego.

No comments: