Sunday, November 18, 2012

Corn Fritters

Corn Fritters reheated Sunday for Brunch and served with poached egg and bread fresh from the farmers market
My Corn Fritters ready for sampling!
I found this lovely recipe on the internet while researching vegetarian food options for a Spanish Tapas party: corn-fritters-with-spicy-honey.  I made some adjustments to the recipe based on what I had available, and the results were delicious!  I did not make the dipping sauce in the link, but instead served the fritters with a little glob of mexican cream and put on the table our collection of hot sauces...Yum!

Roasted Corn fresh from the cob
3 ears of corn
1/4 cup rice milk
1 egg
1 shallot
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions
2 tbsp cilantro
1 1/2 cup corn bread mix
tsp salt
tsp sugar
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp pepper

I roasted three ears of sweet white corn in the oven at 400* for 15 minutes then let them cool.  Once cool I cut the corn kernels off the cobs.  I mixed together an egg and 1/4 cup of rice milk and added this to the corn and blended it all together in my blender.  While the corn was cooking I diced up one shallot, two cloves of garlic, two green onions and 2 tablespoons of cilantro and set this aside in a big mixing bowel.  Next I mixed together the dry ingredients.  I hade a great organic corn bread mix so I used 1 1/2 cups for the base and added to it a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, a dash of coriander and black pepper.  Now in to the mixing bowel of diced greens I poured the corn blend and the dry ingredients and gently folded it all together with a spatula.  In a small pot I heated 1/2 cup grapeseed oil and 3/4 cup of sesame seed oil and spooned the corn batter in to the hot oil.  I fried them 3-5 minutes and flipped once golden and fried another 3 minutes on the second side.  I set them to cool on paper towels, flipping occasionally as they cooled to degrease.
The batter ready for the frier

The first fritters in the oil

A few more minutes on the second side
A delicious Vegan Dinner

No comments: